Conference Topics I: Security
Please note: it is not about providing secret solutions covered by professional secrecy, rather about general ideas or solutions tested in practice, sharing experiences and main problems, which are probably largely common to our collections, regardless of the institution in which they are located - this is our idea
- Security of museum and library collections (especially works on paper), conservation and restoration, protection and evacuation programmes in the cases of threats or emergencies, etc.;
- Are there any general programmes led and subsidised by the state? Or does the responsibility of protecting the collection and related expenses burden the budget of the collection owner, even if it is a public collection?
- Two ways of security/protection: daily way of protecting the collection (light, storage, furniture, way of making it available, digitisation, thieves, bio-protection - insects, fungi, etc.) and protection/security programme in the event of emergencies (floods, contamination, terrorist attack, construction disasters, natural disasters, war conflicts, etc.).
- Which protection and preservation methods are applied in your collections?
- Is the conservation and preservation department, if exists at your institution, involved in the development of such general protection programmes?
- Are there any special regulations for Print Rooms visitors, special services etc. in your institution?
- Do you provide workshops and staff training, foreign internships (e.g. EU programme Erasmus + dedicated for staff mobility) or domestic internships? If not, do you use external training offered by other organizations or entities? What results do you expect after internships and workshops? Which of the recommended organizations do you work with (e.g. ICOM, CERL, LIBER etc.)?
- How we can improve the security of our collections?
- What is absolutely necessary, and what is relative to our choice? Can we define the minimum standards that will be recommended for the graphic and drawing collection? Should these be our (International Advisory Commmittee) task?